Friday, January 28, 2011

Inaugral Post: Lego Mindstorms and Microsoft Robotic Studio

For a competition at work to celebrate eWeek (National Engineers Week), we were given Lego Mindstorm kits and a task to design robots in order to navigate a course and collect objects. I thought this would be a great opportunity to test out Microsoft's Robotic Studio. It's a free application geared towards robotic development and simulation. It has built in support of various popular robots, including the Mindstorm kit. Also, it has a function for the Xbox controller.

My mechanical skills are lacking but the point of this is the software side. I took much inspiration from the building instructions on Lego's website for the Tribot, although, I didn't quite have all the pieces to build it, so some mods were required.

 
Unfortunately, the documentation from Microsoft is lacking and requires a lot patience and trial and error to determine what parameters are necessary. Hopefully, someone can skip the agony and learn something from my code. I'll post that in the next post.


I shot video of this landmark. The left thumbstick y-axis is used to control the left wheel and the right thumbstick for the right wheel:


The ending may be a fail but that's my lack of driving skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment